- The average age of first use is 13 years old
- Every day 4,000 teens try an illicit drug for the first time
- Every day 2,500 teens abuse a prescription drug for the first time
- The good news is that parents – and other caring adults – do matter, and can make a difference.
In our on-going efforts to combat these dangers, we will use this page to provide resources to increase understanding, awareness and education for parents, students and the community about various topics in this arena.
Drug & Alcohol Use Prevention
- A Parent’s Guide to the Teen Brain
- Prescription Drug Abuse- Not in My House
- Synthetic Drugs: Bath Salts, K2/Spice: A guide for parents and other influencers
If you suspect or know your child is using drugs or alcohol, it is important to take action right away.
How to tell if your kid is using and how to take action to intervene: Time to Act!
Parents Toll-Free Helpline- We’re here to help you — in English or Spanish. Call Monday thru Friday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm ET 1-855-DRUGFREE (1-855-378-4373)
Facebook, Cyberbullying and Other Internet Monitoring
MinorMonitor is an innovative website that focuses on providing parents and teachers with a free resource to identify potentially dangerous threats on the Internet. As you know, internet predators have become more prevalent in the past few years. The software allows parents to monitor their child’s Facebook activity and provides instant alerts. It also analyzes content for signs of online predators, cyberbullying, possible drug use, sexual references and much more.
Children can wander into dangerous situations in real life and on line without really perceiving the perils at hand. This website has been created for the sole purpose of protecting kids: MinorMonitor.com
If you would like to know more about a specific topic, please contact our district’s school safety specialist at: email@example.com or our chief nurse at: firstname.lastname@example.org.